What is a type error?

Eliot Miranda eliotm at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 22 17:03:27 EDT 2006

Chris Uppal wrote:

> Taking Smalltalk /specifically/, there is a definite sense in which it is
> typeless -- or trivially typed -- in that in that language there are no[*]
> operations which are forbidden[**],

Come one Chris U.   One has to distinguish an attempt to invoke an
operation with it being carried out.  There is nothing in Smalltalk to
stop one attempting to invoke any "operation" on any object.  But one
can only actually carry-out operations on objects that implement them.
So, apart from the argument about inadvertent operation name overloading
(which is important, but avoidable), Smalltalk is in fact
strongly-typed, but not statically strongly-typed.