CENSORSHIP - Django Project (Schema Evolution Support)

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Wed Jun 7 07:35:23 EDT 2006

[posted publicly to comp.lang.python, with email notification to 6
recipients relevant to the topic]

I have implemented a simple schema evolution support for django, due to
a need for a personal project. Additionally, I've provided an Audit:

http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/DjangoAudit

As a result, I was censored ('banned' from the development list)

My initial non-public complain [1] about censorship on django devel,
sent to six relevant project recipients [2] remained unanswered.

The only 'answer' I got was an additional censorship on the _user_ list,
which is _completely_ unjustified, as I've just requested comments to my
code-level working results:

http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_frm/thread/88dcc4946c3bd7b2

-

I understand that the community was possibly confused due to my past
evaluations. But this gives in _no_ way the right to attack me
personally and to apply censorship.

"Django was originally created in late 2003 at World Online, the Web
division2 of the Lawrence Journal-World newspaper in Lawrence, Kansas"
http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/AUTHORS#L128

The Django Project should really avoid such non-liberal actions in future.

Please enable my access to the user list, thus I can complete my work.

Thank you.

-

P.S.:

If anyone is interested to verify the results, in order to stabelize the
  simple schema evolution support for django, please review the results
here:

http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/DjangoProductEvaluation
http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/DjangoSchemaEvolution
http://case.lazaridis.com/browser/django/rework/evolve.py
http://case.lazaridis.com/browser/django/rework/add_evolvedb_command.diff

-

Sidenote:

I've implemented the above as the suggestions from the django project
(manually create an execute ALTER TABLE statements) would hinder me to
develop my application incrementally:

"If you do care about deleting data, you'll have to execute the ALTER
TABLE statements manually in your database. That's the way we've always
done it, because dealing with data is a very sensitive operation that
we've wanted to avoid automating. That said, there's some work being
done to add partially automated database-upgrade functionality."
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/faq/#if-i-make-changes-to-a-model-how-do-i-update-the-database

-
-
-

[1]
Date   : 2006-06-03 08:32
Subject: pj.audit.django.censorship/offer.

*SUMMARY*

* Censorship on django-developer
* Personal Projects
[...] - (non-public commercial part omitted)

*CENSORSHIP*

I would like to know for which reason I was "banned" from the developers
  list.

Django comes from an newspaper environment, and I think you should
really evaluate your information twice before you *censor* someone on
the list, who has posted only topics relevant to django development in
order to fulfill several tasks for an Audit:

http://case.lazaridis.com/multi/wiki/DjangoAudit

Is this here really enough to justify censorship?:

http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/msg/fbb5a3aafe39d239

Please, Mr. Holovaty, enable my access to the development-list again
thus I can finalize my work.

-

*PERSONAL_PROJECTS*

Instead of blocking me without any justification from the
development-list, why don't you just look on my website, where I list
some links (including that one found' and explain the project:

http://lazaridis.com/core/eval/index.html

I've worked several years on this "Core Project", which is finalized,
and in 2006 I've started to define the resulting services:

http://lazaridis.com/pj/index.html

As stated, I use django for a personal project (which I hope will secure
me some incomings). The evolve functionality was necessary in order to
start with development of my project. At the same time I made the audit
publicly, thus other people can benefit from my experiences.

Additionally, I look for a reference customer. Although I had planned to
finalize the Audit first and then to contact you, the missing access to
the developer list forces me to change my schedule.

[...] - (non-public commercial part omitted)

[2]

The recipients were take for the following file:

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/faq/#who-s-behind-this

and from this file:

http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/AUTHORS

.