Bug reporting impossible

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Jun 29 19:26:02 EDT 2006

On 2006-06-29, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Nick Maclaren wrote:
>
>> It's definitely worth fixing, but not as a high priority.  Invoking a
>> file spuriously is potentially serious, with very low probability.
>
> the traceback printer is reading the file (using a very robust reader),
> it's not "invoking" it.

If you make <stdin> a fifo and pipe something into it, it's
sort of fun:

   $ mkfifo \<stdin\>
   $ while true; do yow >\<stdin\>; done

   $ python
   Python 2.4.2 (#1, Feb 17 2006, 12:02:16)
   [GCC 3.4.4 (Gentoo 3.4.4-r1, ssp-3.4.4-1.0, pie-8.7.8)] on linux2

   >>> print a
   Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
       Yow! Bo Derek ruined my life!
   NameError: name 'a' is not defined

   >>> print a
   Traceback (most recent call last):
   while  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
       Yow! YOU!! Give me the CUTEST, PINKEST, most charming little VICTORIAN DOLLHOUSE you can find!! An make it SNAPPY!!
   NameError: name 'a' is not defined

   >>> print a
   Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
       Yow! I will establish the first SHOPPING MALL in NUTLEY, New Jersey...
   NameError: name 'a' is not defined

   >>> import foo
   Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
       Yow! Is this where people are HOT and NICE and they give you TOAST for FREE??
     File "foo.py", line 4, in ?
       p('set out')
   NameError: name 'p' is not defined

OK, so not everybody finds things like that amusing...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My LIBRARY CARD
                                  at               expired...