Rob Thorpe robert.thorpe at antenova.com
Wed Jun 21 08:17:36 EDT 2006

> So, will y'all just switch from using "dynamically typed" to "latently
> typed", and stop talking about any real programs in real programming
> languages as being "untyped" or "type-free", unless you really are
> talking about situations in which human reasoning doesn't come into
> play?  I think you'll find it'll help to reason more clearly about this
> whole issue.

I agree with most of what you say except regarding "untyped".

In machine language or most assembly the type of a variable is
something held only in the mind of the programmer writing it, and
nowhere else.  In latently typed languages though the programmer can
ask what they type of a particular value is.  There is a vast
difference to writing code in the latter kind of language to writing
code in assembly.

I would suggest that at least assembly should be referred to as
"untyped".