Tuple Syntax and ()

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Jun 14 05:22:36 EDT 2006

tactics40 at gmail.com wrote:
> I keep accidently trying to declare t-tuples as mytuple = (myitem)
>
> I know this doesn't work and that you need the trailing comma, but
> reading something online, I just came to realize.... the parenthesises
> don't have any special meaning in relation to tuples at all, do they?

Give that (?)man a cigar! The only time the parentheses are necessary is
when you need to disambiguate - the most frequent needs are:

() for an empty tuple: there's no other way to express that without
using tuple(), and

f((a, b, ...)) to provide a single tuple argument to a function.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com