HTTP server

placid Bulkan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 09:16:09 EDT 2006

Simon Forman wrote:

> Ok, seriously,  I don't know how pydoc does it, but when I need a
> quick-and-dirty http server [written in python] I use something like
> this:
>
> from BaseHTTPServer import HTTPServer
> from SimpleHTTPServer import SimpleHTTPRequestHandler
>
> HTTPServer(('', 8000), SimpleHTTPRequestHandler).serve_forever()
>
> For what you're asking about you'd probably want to use the
> CGIHTTPRequestHandler from the CGIHTTPServer module instead.  Check out
> http://docs.python.org/lib/module-CGIHTTPServer.html

This is what i was after, thanks for the tip.

> Then you'd just write one or more cgi scripts (they can be in python
> IIRC) to run the commands you want.

Im having trouble running the following cgi script on windows

<code>

#!c:/Python/python.exe -u

text = """Content-type: text/html

<TITLE> CGI 101 </TITLE>
<H1>A Second CGI script</H1>
<HR>
<P>Hello, CGI World!</P>
"""
print text

</code>

using this http server from
http://effbot.org/librarybook/cgihttpserver.htm

<code>

import CGIHTTPServer
import BaseHTTPServer

class Handler(CGIHTTPServer.CGIHTTPRequestHandler):
    cgi_directories = ["/cgi"]

PORT = 8000

httpd = BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer(("", PORT), Handler)
print "serving at port", PORT
httpd.serve_forever()

</code>

i get the error number 403, when i try to access the cgi script which
is located in a subdirectory called cgi where this file is (http
server). I have a feeling that i need to change the Handler class or
something, implement , but i couldnt find any examples other then this
from eff-bot.

It could also be this line of code, that a google search turned up, its
the way of running cgi scripts on windows

#!c:/Python/python.exe -u

Cheers