Python + WinCE + serial port

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 18:11:55 EDT 2006

pcm wrote:
> Fuzzyman wrote:
>

> > pcm wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Has anyone ever worked on a Python-WinCE-based program that involved
> >> serial port management ?
> >>

> > Because of the size of the runtime and the fragility of the GUI
> > toolkits, there has been little serious development with PythonCE.
> > (Little not none - and it's great to have Python available.)
> >
> > There is no built in support for the serial port in PythonCE (AFAIK).
> > Your best bet is using ctypes (for which a PythonCE port has been done)
> > and the microsoft API.
> >
> > Fuzzyman
> > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/index.shtml
> >
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Philippe
>

> Thanks, does that mean that I need to write an extension to the WinCE API or
> is that built-into the Python package ?

(Sorry for late reply.)

There is a version of ctypes *compiled* for PythonCE (from the PythonCE
sourceforge page).

Using ctypes you should be able to use the Microsoft Win32 API to
access the serial port from *pure Python* code.

You will need to use the Microsoft docs to see which calls to make.

Fuzzyman