Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Wed Jun 21 23:29:09 EDT 2006

Rob Warnock <rpw3 at rpw3.org> wrote:
> Another language which has *neither* latent ("dynamic") nor
> manifest ("static") types is (was?) BLISS[1], in which, like
> assembler, variables are "just" addresses[2], and values are
> "just" a machine word of bits.

I'm unsure that it's correct to describe any language as having no
latent typing, in the sense that's being used in this thread.  It might
be more correct to say "so specified latent typing" and/or "no latent
typing beyond what is provided by the execution environment, including
the CPU, virtual memory system, etc." as appropriate.  I am aware of no
hardware environment that really accepts all possible values for all
possible operations without the potential of somehow signaling a type
violation.

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation