numeric/numpy/numarray

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 05:18:17 EDT 2006

Simon Percivall wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > what is the difference among numeric, numpy and numarray?  i'm going to start
> > using matplotlib soon and i'm not sure which one i should use.
>
> Look again at numeric.scipy.org, and this time: read the whole page,
> especially the section called "Older Array Packages".

In particular, ignore any references to SciPy Core... Not to mention
anything regarding older NumPy, which is nothing to do with newer
NumPy, which is why common libraries (such as PyOpenGL) ask for NumPy
v23 when the latest download on SourceForge is 0.9.8.

Numeric libraries in Python are a nomenclatural nightmare. It's well
past time that something made it into the standard library, I feel.

--
Ben Sizer