"parent" in a class __init__ def?

akameswaran at gmail.com akameswaran at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 23:46:07 EDT 2006

bruno at modulix wrote:
> akameswaran at gmail.com wrote:
> (meta : please don't top-post)
> >  Intuitively, the name lookup on
> > self.parent.foo would be faster than if you passed in the object in
> > question
>

> Each dot means doing a lookup in a namespace. The more dots, the more
> lookups. And lookups do have a cost.
hmm, intuition may not be right in this case.
Lookups do have a cost - now I"m almost tempted to write and run a test
for this - but the cost of each lookup is also relative to the current
scope.  I haven't looked over the implementation of the python
interpreter - but I would hope the lookup on self would be optimized
and trivial.  The next relevant question would be is it cheaper to
lookup self.parent or to look up a method variable, which I supsect
would depend on the number of names in self vs. number of names in the
method.