How do you practice programming?

bruno at modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Thu Jun 1 08:01:04 EDT 2006

Ray wrote:
> bruno at modulix wrote:
>
>>1/ programming
>>2/ programming
>>3/ lurking here, reading posts and sometimes trying to answer, reading
>>source code of the oss apps/frameworks I'm working with, searching
>>practical solutions in the cookbook etc
>>4/ programming
>

> Yeah, but that's what most of us are doing too, we are programmers
> after all. But you know, it's like a boxer cannot get better just by
> going into a lot of fights, he needs good instruction from a good
> coach.

I learned the guitar mostly by watching other guitarists (good and bad
ones), trying to teach whoever asked me what I already knew, and
practicing many hours a day (until my fingers hurt too much in fact). In
programming, like in any other form of art - and like in spirituality
for that matters - *everyone* can be your master - sometimes without
even being aware of it - if you let him teach you.

> So what would you do? (I guess it's your number #3 above).

The #3 only would not be of any use without at least the #1, the #2 and
the #4. But I admit that #1, #2 and #4 would be equally useless without
the #3 !-)

How, and yes, also : using one's head - not only to wear a hat - may be
of some help too.

--
bruno desthuilliers