to py or not to py ?

Chandrashekhar kaushik shekhar.kaushik at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 04:16:53 EDT 2006

HI all
I have the following prob.
I am to write a parallel vis application .
I wud have by default used C++ for the same but somehow
thought if py cud help me ..
It does as in many things that i would otherwise have written down
already exists ... ( like built in classes for sockets , threading etc )

I would be doin the following type of tasks ..

1. sending data across the network
    the data is going to be huge

2. once data has been sent i will run some vis
    algos parallely on them and get the results

now one thing that i wud req. is serializing my data structures so that
they can be sent across the net.

pyton does allow this using cPickle , but it bloats the data like anythin
!!!
for example a class containing 2 integers which i expect will be 8 bytes
long ..
cPickle.dumps returns a string thats 86 bytes wide !!!! ( this is the binary
version protocol 1 )

anyway to improve serialization ??

also is it actually a good idea to write high perf applications in python ?

thanks in advance

-