curiosity about the nature of identity (in python)

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Jun 28 18:20:13 EDT 2006

On 2006-06-29, Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:

> Now what about this:

> 134745616
> 134745616
>
> id of an object is unique *for the lifetime of this object*. Nothing
> prevents it from being reused later.

Indeed.  Since in CPython, it's the address of a C language
data structure, if IDs didn't get re-used, then the virtual
memory size of any long-running Python program would grow
without bound. The working set would grow more slowly that the
total virtual size, but it would still be problematic.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm GLAD I
                                  at               remembered to XEROX all