Marshall marshall.spight at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 11:00:19 EDT 2006

Chris Smith wrote:

>  When I used the word "type" above, I was adopting the
> working definition of a type from the dynamic sense.  That is, I'm
> considering whether statically typed languages may be considered to also
> have dynamic types, and it's pretty clear to me that they do.

I suppose this statement has to be evaluated on the basis of a
definition of "dynamic types." I don't have a firm definition for
that term, but my working model is runtime type tags. In which
case, I would say that among statically typed languages,
Java does have dynamic types, but C does not. C++ is
somewhere in the middle.

Marshall