Getting output from external programs...

Ten runlevelten at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 20:00:52 EDT 2006

On Sunday 18 June 2006 21:28, ph0b0s wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  i'm making an mp3 conversion program in Python, but am kind of stuck now.
>  The conversion routines work, using LAME, but now a i'm building a GUI
>   with GLADE around it, and would like to be able to show LAME's output
>   to the user in a status window in my gui.. but don't know where to
> start...
>
>  The command i use to invoke LAME is this :
>    command = ("lame -b " + str(bitrate) + " " + infile + " \"" +
> dir_outpath + separator + outfile + "\"")

You can do this in various ways, ranging from the very simple and not very good

from commands import getoutput

x=getoutput(command)

- to your more common and better popens.

ie:

import popen2

(stdOut, stdIn) = popen2.popen4(command)

x=stdOut.readlines()

- asynchronously if appropriate.

How are you running the command at the moment?

--
There are 10 types of people in this world,