what are you using python language for?

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Tue Jun 6 23:48:42 EDT 2006

hacker1017 <hacker1017 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> im just asking out of curiosity.

At work, since about 16 months ago, mostly for maintaining and enhancing
many programs that control, monitor, and ensure the smooth working of,
many large clusters of servers (plus, all the persnickety extra little
things that keep coming up...).

At home, mostly to orchestrate my long-standing research into the
theoretical roots of the game of contract bridge (plus, the even more
numerous persnickety big and small things that come up even more often,
at least with a wife and stepson both being students at demanding Palo
Alto teaching institutions which both happen to be named Stanford;-)...
they're both decent Python programmers [my wife more than just decent...
she's the only woman member of the PSF!-)] but I'm still happy to lend a
hand when needed -- for my stepdaughter too, who lives thousands of
miles away... she's a budding artist and often uses Poser, which lets
users write Python programs to drive the positioning and rendering...).

As a freelance consultant in Europe, before I crossed an ocean and a
continent to come work for my current employer, I used Python for a huge
variety of tasks for clients, including a multi-tier enterprise-class
workflow framework cum several specialized applications (I mostly helped
out with middleware tiers and web interfaces, but the Qt-based GUI and
the DB-interfacing backend were also Python), a tivo-like DVR system's
wide variety of programs, a web-based system to farm out photo
retouching from customers to professional consultants, a system
controlling the UI of a mechanical engineering bill-of-materials system
to either GUI or Web interfaces, and so forth.

Alex