Extending Python - Understanding Flags...

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Wed Jun 14 11:27:03 EDT 2006

John Machin <sjmachin at lexicon.net> wrote:
> > If it is any consolation I hope to take what I learn and put together
> > a tutorial on expanding Python for those that only have a little
> > experience with C programming, like myself. I plan to explain
> > everything like I was teaching a 6-year old. :]
> >
> > I was just going to put this on a wiki, but is there a way to include
> > with other Python documentation on an "official" site?
>
> The manual is in fact written as a tutorial. You may prefer to propose
> changes to the manual, rather than to publish yet another document.

I don't think the manual even TRIES to address "those that only have a
little experience with C programming", nor should it -- there's a vast
niche for a truly tutorial document based on learn-by-doing, which takes
somebody with a "C 101" course as their only C experience, and a good
knowledge of Python, and turns them into writers of C extension modules
for Python.

I suggest to the OP that he starts this effort as a wiki, publicize it
widely but with good taste to try and attract willing helpers, and think
about possibly get it included on Python's official site only if and
when it becomes more mature and well-accepted.  Best of luck: I think
it's a worthwhile project and I hope I can be of help (I have published
a number of shorter documents on this subject, and I'd be happy to allow
them to be shared in as much as I retain copyright on most of them --
alas, can't do that for the chapter of Python in a Nutshell that deals
with writing Python extensions in C, since that's (C) O'Reilly!-).

Alex