Which compiler will Python 2.5 / Windows (Intel) be built with?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jun 16 01:27:40 EDT 2006

meyer at mesw.de wrote:
> the problem is not the ABI, but the runtime libraries. From what you're
> saying, it looks like we will have to standardize on VS2003. As I said,
> we need to buy VS anyway because of the MFC support. On the other hand,
> I really worry about all those people that want to build open source
> extensions for Python 2.5. It is really possible that there will be no
> legal, free way to do that soon if you don't have an old installation
> of the 2003 toolkit lying around somewhere...

As others have pointed out already: This is not true. You can build
Python extensions with GCC just fine; gcc provides an import library
for msvcr71.dll.

It might be possible to integrate an msvcr71.dll import library
with VS 2005, in which case you could use VS 2005 to create Python
extensions as well.

Regards,
Martin