Python taught in schools?

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Jun 26 04:24:54 EDT 2006

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <1hhhbmb.qcvbcn14uox59N%aleax at mac.com>,
>  aleax at mac.com (Alex Martelli) wrote:
>
>>... let's try some google searches and see the number of million
>>hits...:
>
> But how reliable are those estimates of numbers of hits, anyway? More
> than once I've got a page showing something like "Results 1 - 10 of
> about 36 hits", only to find that there were no more pages after the
> second one. If it could get estimates so wrong with such small
> numbers, how can you trust the large ones?

If you read what it says at the bottom of the last page of results (this
example from a claimed 90 hits, but only 27 visible):

> In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some
> entries very similar to the 27 already displayed. If you like, you can
> repeat the search with the omitted results included.

Google's hit count includes all the pages which by default it filters out.
In particular it only returns you two pages from each site in the initial
results (grouped together and with the second one indented). If you repeat
the search with filtering turned off then you should find that a small
count of hits is pretty accurate).