Python-list Digest, Vol 33, Issue 159

Ray Schumacher subscriber100 at rjs.org
Sat Jun 10 13:17:06 EDT 2006

Thanks Larry,

My depth can really only get to ~3:
package
   module
       error_module
an usually not that.
It is shallow, with >hundred methods (mainly serial protocol defs for
LX* telescopes), but it could grow I suppose.
I mainly see its use as an import for other, large apps.
Speed is not an issue here , just clutter, as you said.

I still also have not seen a written consensus on the "proper" usage
of class variables. I define module vars (some constants), which I
think is reasonable, although these modules are the type with only one class:
port = LXSerial.LXSerial(...)
My rationale of putting the class in its own module is to minimize
giant module files with lots of long classes;  there is only a remote
possibility that someone would want call a class without most of the
others as well.

Ray