PEP 314 - requirements for Python itself

Serge Orlov serge.orlov at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 14:04:01 EDT 2006

On 6/23/06, Mark Nottingham <mnot at mnot.net> wrote:
> PEP 314 introduces metadata that explains what packages are required
> by a particular package. Is there any way to express what version of
> Python itself is required?

No, but you can do it yourself:

# do not edit this file, edit actualsetup.py instead
import sys
if sys.version_info < (2, 4):
    print "Error: Python 2.4 or greater is required to use this package"
    sys.exit(1)
import actualsetup

Disclaimer: I haven't actually run or tested this code, but the idea
is to write the checking code that is compatible with very old python
versions and do the actual work in actualsetup.py