msvcr71.dll necessary? - Re: Which compiler will Python 2.5 / Windows (Intel) be built with?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jun 16 19:48:09 EDT 2006

robert wrote:
> For me the great great problem with Python2.4's lib geometry was that
> the size of distributable app installers swelled suddenly by many megs
> with msvcr71.dll and mfc71 and codecs in core and all.

codecs are in python24.dll, mscvr71, mfc71 and all are not.
However, they are not in core - the operating system demand-pages code,
the codecs, they are not loaded into core.

While mscvr71 is likely loaded into core (even though it is not in
python24.dll), mfc71.dll does not play a role at all in Python 2.4.
Python is written entire in C, not in C++.

> * Is there a fundamental reason that the C-RTL of VC6 (which is
> pre-installed on on all Windows today) is not sufficient for current
> Python and extensions? instable?

The compiler that is used (VS 2003) won't ship it, and links with
msvcr71.dll. That's why that library version is used.

> In case not: As the short living VS 2003 compiler is now more rare than
> the good old VC6, wouldn't it be better to switch back to VC6 for Py2.5
> or at least to VC6 libs (which are maybe "free" of dev-license as they
> sit on each Windows).

Better in what respect? Predictability of software development?
Certainly not: the development will be more predictable if a decision
that was once taken is implemented as promised.

Making more users happy? Certainly not, either. Some users request that
VS2005 is being used, not that VC6 is being used. Other users request
that Python 2.5 continues to be built with VS 2003. You can't please
everybody.

> Maybe a suitable policy: the default crtl for Python should better be
> the default library of the OS and not that of a random compiler which is
> currently hip?

That would make a good policy if the OS had a system C library. Windows
doesn't. Windows NT does have a CRT, namely crtdll.dll - but you weren't
suggesting to use that one, were you?

> * can't the Mingw/gcc be used together with Windows default crt/mfc libs
> for Python2.5 ? - Python getting away the from this MS studio (lib)
> harassment?

Sure, you can use gcc/mingw to build extensions for Python 2.4 and
Python 2.5.

> * how many (serious) python users require to build distributable
> installers (which have carry the python-rtls and non-default crtl's)?

Apparently not many. I repeatedly asked for contribution of a
specification how pythonxy.dll should be modularized, and never
received one.

Regards,
Martin