Interprocess communication on multi-user machine

Fri Jun 30 06:54:22 EDT 2006

In article <e82tbu$grc$1 at gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
 nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

>In article <ldo-619CD3.21214330062006 at lust.ihug.co.nz>,
>Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> writes:

>|> That's not true. On *nix systems, a socket is a file, and is subject to
>|> the usual file ownership and protection mechanisms.
>
>I am afraid that BOTH answers are badly wrong!
>
>Sockets are often accessed via special files, but are not files.

They are files. They are not _regular_ files.

>They may also be accessed by port numbers, for example.

UNIX sockets have no ports.

>Secondly, even when they are accessed via files, FIFOs generally
>do NOT use the usual file ownership and protection mechanisms to
>control access.

I wasn't talking about FIFOs. Even if I was, they _are_ still subject to
regular file permissions (on Linux, at least).

>While any user can attempt to open any socket accessed by port
>number...

UNIX sockets have no ports.