carshing the interpreter in two lines

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jun 4 12:53:18 EDT 2006

In article <1149343823.789918.210110 at h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
gangesmaster <tomerfiliba at gmail.com> wrote:

>the following (random) code crashes my interpreter
>(python 2.4.3/winxp):
>
>from types import CodeType as code
>exec code(0, 5, 8, 0, "hello moshe", (), (), (), "", "", 0, "")
>
>i would expect the interpreter to do some verifying, at least for
>sanity (valid opcodes, correct stack size, etc.) before executing
>artbitrary code... after all, it was the BDFL who said """I'm not
>saying it's uncrashable. I'm saying that if you crash it, it's a
>bug unless proven harebrained."""

IIRC, this has been discussed before and deemed harebrained.  Check SF to
see whether this specific case has been submitted previously and submit
it if not.  Then post to python-dev if it's a new bug and ask for a
ruling on whether it's harebrained.

"I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and stopped
right there."  --Steve Gonedes