a good programming text editor (not IDE)

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:51:59 EDT 2006

> I've tried a few others, like TextPad and Crimson, and right now I use
> UltraEdit, which I love actually, except for minor issues here and
> there. But it'd be nice to make the move, as much as possible, to free,
> open-source, cross-platform software.

Vim is great if you have a good memory... Otherwise you end up trawling
through the help to find out how to do stuff that would in another IDE
be just a few menu clicks away.

jEdit is for me still the best text editor available. Very extensible
with macros (which can be written in Jython with the appropriate plugin
installed). Full mapping of key-bindings to built in commands, plugin
commands and macros a-la Vim, emacs etc. Also comes with a range of
plugins if you do want that little bit more power... Java based so
cross platform.