wxPython: wxStaticBitmap and large images

Roger Miller roger.miller at nova-sol.com
Wed Jul 19 19:27:38 EDT 2006

I have a WxPython app that displays images that are typically around
600x600 pixels. I use a wxStaticBitmap, which appears to work fine on
Windows XP. However the documentation states that a StaticBitmap "...
is meant for display of the small icons in the dialog boxes and is not
meant to be a general purpose image display control. In particular,
under Windows 9x the size of bitmap is limited to 64*64 pixels and thus
you should use your own control if you want to display larger images
portably".

Assuming that I don't care about Windows 9X, should I be worried? Is
there a better way to display images, hopefully without diving down
into the device context level?