About Embedding PyWin or wxPython

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Jul 25 03:15:34 EDT 2006

Mr. Roboto wrote:
> Folks:  I want to embark on a project to add Python (actually, wxPython
> or PythonWin) to a new Windows app I want to start writing soon.
> Essentially, I want to take VB6 (or pos Delphi) and construct the app
> framework/core functionality using one of those languages, then extend
> the app w/ Python, the same way one can extend the MS Office apps
> using VBA.  The core Python docs provide the fundamental info one
> needs to get started.  But, I've been looking for some pointers to
> articles/web pages that will bootstrap the effort, so I won't have to
> completely reinvent the wheel.  So far, the c.l.p ngroup traffic (and
> the web in general) that speaks to this subject is apparently pretty
> sparse.  Since I'm a one-man show, it would be helpful if anyone could
> offer pointers to sites/pages/books that address some of these issues:

You almost certainly would regard a copy of Hammind and Robinson's
"Python Programming on Win32" as remarkable value for money. It's an
axcellent book, and even has examples fo how you can make a VBA
application scriptable in Python.

If you are more interested in developing functionality that
experimenting, buying that book would save to a huge amount of time.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119