War chest for writing web apps in Python?

Dan Sommers me at privacy.net
Fri Jul 28 06:27:10 EDT 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:22:55 +0200,
Sybren Stuvel <sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination> wrote:

> Vincent Delporte enlightened us with:

>> The development and test machine is XP, while ultimate deployment
>> will be on a shared Unix web host.

> That's just begging for huge problems. No insult intended, but it's
> downright stupid to develop and test on one platform, and then deploy
> on another. Every system nowadays is a Unix, except Windows. I suggest
> you pick another system for development and testing.

We just did that at work (developed on the corporate-issued non-Unix
computers and then deployed on a Linux box), and had no problems at all.
In a former life, I was a long-time embedded system developer, where we
*always* developed on one platform and deployed on another.  My
experience with developing on your deployment platform is that it's too
easy for platform dependencies to sneak in without being caught.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers