Non-ASCII languages

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Sat Jul 1 14:33:49 EDT 2006

Jorgen Grahn wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:19:34 +0200, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
>> Jorgen Grahn wrote:
>>> (I like well-typeset code in print though....
> Possibly true, and definitely for Knuth.  But WYSIWYG was unknown at the
> time; these people all programmed using fixed-width fonts, on teletypes or
> character-mapped terminals. Hell, even full-screen editors were new and
> controversial until the late 1970s!
Sorry, I'm old enough to have a few problems with this.  WYSIWIG was
indeed well known at the time, and disparaged as WYSIAYG around where I
worked (What You See Is All You Get).  We had full screen editors, with
to play with (people wrote incredibly ugly documents with tons of fonts
in them because it was the first they could spec it).  All of this was
in the mid seventies or earlier.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.daniels at acm.org