sending bytes to parallel port

Timothy Smith timothy at open-networks.net
Fri Jul 28 19:02:04 EDT 2006

hello people.

i've been trying to send an 8 byte string to my parallel port under
freebsd. the purpose is it to control a relay board.
the board simply responds to the output byte coming from the port. eg.
00000001 will set pin 1 high and flick the relay open.
todate i've attempted this with merely open() on /dev/ppi0 and numpy for
the byte array, but i just can't seem to get it working.
i know the parallel port works and i know the relay board works (tested
it with it's own windows ultility) so it's just my crappy programming
keeping me from success.