numarray

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 00:42:00 EDT 2006

bruce wrote:
> hi...
>
> i'm trying to find numarray.. i found the numpy on sourceforge and
> downloaded/installed..
>
> i did a
> python>> import numarray
>
> and got an error...

Never just say "I got an error." It tells us nothing. Copy-and-paste the exact
error message. I presume, however, that you installed numpy, not numarray. They
are not the same thing.

> the docs that i've seen point to the sourceforge area.. but i only see
> numpy.. which appears to incorporate numarray..

No, it replaces numarray.

http://www.scipy.org/NumPy

> my goal is to somehow define multi-dimensional arrays of strengs...

 >>> from numpy import *
 >>> a = array([['some', 'strings'],['in an', 'array']], dtype=object)
 >>> a
array([[some, strings],
        [in an, array]], dtype=object)

--