Is there a limit to os.popen()?

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Tue Jul 11 19:18:23 EDT 2006

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <mailman.8046.1152654954.27775.python-list at python.org>,
>  "Carl J. Van Arsdall" <cvanarsdall at mvista.com> wrote:
>

>> Well, running the make on the command line seems to work just fine, no
>> errors at all.
>>

> What about running it as
>
>     make kernelrelease | cat
>
> This way the output goes to a pipe, which is what happens when it's
> called from your script. Do you see those "broken pipe" messages after a
> few minutes in this case?

Alright, so I tried that line in the interpreter and got the same
problem.  So let me quickly state what I know, and what I'm starting to
infer.

Anyhow, running make on the command line gives me no problems.  There
are cats all over the makefile, I checked, but I don't seem to have any
problems on the command line.  Now, when attempting to run this make in
python things seem to go alright, except I get tons of errors dumped to
the screen, its very confusing.  I don't know too much about pipes
though or how exactly to go about debugging this.  Could it be something
like, make's output is piped correctly but pipes used by cat within the
makefile get screwed up inside python somehow?

-c

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
cvanarsdall at mvista.com