Windows vs. Linux

Dan dedded at verizon.net
Mon Jul 31 21:25:40 EDT 2006

Andy Dingley wrote:
[snip]
 > Python is one of the best languages I've found for
 > platform-independence - significantly better than Perl.
[big snip]

This statement was given in the context of Windows and Linux, and I've
precious little experience doing anything on Windows. So I won't
challenge it in the least, and in fact do not doubt it.

But taken out of that context, I'll challenge it.  I was first exposed
to Python about five or six years ago--my boss asked me to consider it.
What I found was that the current version of Python was V2.2, but newest
version (that I could find) that ran on VMS was V1.4.  I decided to
stick with Perl, which provides excellent support for VMS.

Now that I no longer need to worry about VMS, I prefer Python. Quite a bit.

/Dan