Is there a limit to os.popen()?

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Tue Jul 11 14:30:56 EDT 2006

I'm not sure the proper way to phrase the question, but let me try.

Basically, I'm working with a script where someone wrote:

kr = string.strip(os.popen('make kernelrelease').read())

And then searches kr to match a regular expression.

This seems to have been working, however lately when this line executes
I get a number of messages to stderr after several minutes of execution:

cat: write error: Broken pipe
cat: write error: Broken pipe
cat: write error: Broken pipe

I know the output from this make has been growing (make applies some
patches and the patch list is growing).  Does os.popen() have some kind
of read buffer limit that i'm hitting which is causing things to break?

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Build and Release