sys.stdin and two CTRL-Ds

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Jul 3 07:44:47 EDT 2006

> In article <44a8d2ad$1 at news.eftel.com>,
>  John Machin <sjmachin at lexicon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 3/07/2006 4:45 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> I thought Windows (the NT line) was
>>> POSIX-compliant.
>> What on earth gave you that idea?
>
> <http://fuckinggoogleit.com/?query=windows+nt+posix>

Thank you for your elegant and witty response.

The POSIX sub-system of Windows NT 4+ is POSIX-compliant to some degree.
This is not the same as saying that the whole of Windows is
POSIX-compliant. It means that people who write applications using that
subsytem can achieve the same result as if the app was being run on a *x
platform. This is as wonderful and as useless as tits on a bull. So what
do you do if you redirect stdout to a file and a user complains that
Notepad won't grok it? Teach him/her to use vi[m]?