How to force a thread to stop

H J van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Thu Jul 27 02:10:32 EDT 2006

"Carl J. Van Arsdall" <cvanarsdall at mvista.com> wrote:

8<----------------------------------------------------------------

| point).  Its not only important that the threads die, but that they die
| with grace.  There's lots of cleanup work that has to be done when
| things exit or things end up in an indeterminable state.
|
| So, I feel like I have a couple options,
|
|  1) try moving everything to a process oriented configuration - we think
| this would be bad, from a resource standpoint as well as it would make
| things more difficult to move to a fully distributed system later, when
| I get my army of code monkeys.
|
| 2) Suck it up and go straight for the distributed system now - managers
| don't like this, but maybe its easier than I think its going to be, I dunno
|
| 3) See if we can find some other way of getting the threads to terminate.
|
| 4) Kill it and clean it up by hand or helper scripts - we don't want to
| do this either, its one of the major things we're trying to get away from.

This may be a stupid suggestion - If I understand what you are doing, its
essentially running a bunch of compilers with different options on various
machines around the place - so there is a fifth option - namely to do nothing -
let them finish and just throw the output away - i.e. just automate the
cleanup...

- Hendrik