PIL issues

David Bear david.bear at asu.edu
Mon Jul 31 20:06:04 EDT 2006

I am trying to use PIL and when building it, PIL fails to find my jpeg
library. I am using a python 2.4.3 that I build myself on Suse linux 9.3. I
do have the following jpeg libraries:

rpm -qa | grep jpeg
jpeg-6b-738
libjpeg-32bit-9.3-7
libjpeg-6.2.0-738

yet, when building PIL I get:

python setup.py build_ext -i
running build_ext
PIL 1.1.5 BUILD SUMMARY
version       1.1.5
platform      linux2 2.4.2 (#4, Jul 27 2006, 14:34:30)
              [GCC 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)]
*** TKINTER support not available
*** JPEG support not available
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
*** FREETYPE2 support not available
To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
setup.py script.

I don't know what ROOT variable the message is referring too. Any advice
would be appreciated.

--
David Bear
-- let me buy your intellectual property, I want to own your thoughts --