first book about python

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Sun Jul 9 12:33:57 EDT 2006

IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS <alien at ath.forthnet.gr> wrote:

> I thank everybody for your replies.
> I think I'll get Hertland's book since it's newer than O'reillys.
> I don't want to become a programmer. Neither Python is part of my studies.
> I've finished with my studies. I want to become a Unix/Linux admin and
> knowledge of either Python or Perl is an asset.

Knowledge of _both_ languages is even better for this specific task:
many existing sysadm scripts are in Perl, and you may well be working
side by side with other, more senior admis who are dyed-in-the-wool Perl
hackers (since Perl is so very popular with that crowd).

> Do you think that this book is the right one for me?

Actually, particularly if you have any interest at all in possibly
working in a mixed-platforms environment (including some Macs and/or
Windows boxes as well as Linux), you might be better served by
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlsysadm/> -- at least if you accept
my suggestion to get SOME familiarity with Perl as well as with Python.

Yes, Perl IS harder to learn, BUT -- if you've already decided to learn
both languages, starting with the harder one need not be a bad idea (the
Romans' legions, back when they were the best soldiers in the world,
trained with armor and weapons *heavier* than the ones they actually
used in the field -- being used to heavier stuff gave them more agility
and stamina when it most mattered, in battle and on long marches!-).

Alex