Accessors in Python (getters and setters)

danielx danielwong at berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 19 23:04:49 EDT 2006

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> ZeD wrote:

> >>find and grep are usually mostly reliable for this kind of tasks.
> >

> > you mean sed :)
>
> No, I meant find and grep.
>
> > sed 's/oldName/newName/g' oldFile > newFile
> >
> Yeah, fine - as long as your pretty sure the same name is not used in
> other contexts in any of the source files...
>
> --
> bruno desthuilliers
> python -c "print '@'.join(['.'.join([w[::-1] for w in p.split('.')]) for
> p in 'onurb at xiludom.gro'.split('@')])"

I think that was the original point about find/replace: it can be
really hard to automate a name change, because changes might occur that
you didn't intend; whereas, doing things by hand lacks consistency.

My solution is to use emacs' query-replace (which you can invoke with
M-%). It will find quicly and accurately, but I ultimately hold the key
to whether something gets replaced or not.