How to force a thread to stop

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Mon Jul 24 17:38:20 EDT 2006

Steve Holden wrote:
> Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:
>

> I take this to mean you don't want to do the necessary research? ;-)

Well, i've been looking at this on and off for quite some time now, I
almost feel like I've seen it all in regards to the "thread killer"
scenario.  It could be that i'm not finding or understanding the answers
I'm getting from google.  But after the last email I sat here with my
python book, the python cook book, the python module reference, and
google for a few minutes before responding.  I swear... i'm not THAT
lazy.  Just curious and uninformed!  Questions of event driven python
generally lead me to twisted.  I will admit that I haven't read much
about that yet.

>> There is no system that is completely interruptible, there will always
>> be a state in which it is not safe to interrupt, but many systems work
>> around this just fine with cautious programming.  Has anyone considered
>> an event driven approach to sending control messages to threads?
>>

> The big problem (as you'll see when you ...) is providing facilities
> that are platform-independent.

Ah, I could see that.  I think before I can make any suggestions on this
front I need to start reading python source code.

Gracias,

Carl

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall