ConfigParser: what read('non-existent-filename') returns in 2.3.x?

Danil Dotsenko dd at accentsolution.com
Thu Jul 20 17:01:08 EDT 2006

Chris Lambacher wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 10:50:40AM -0700, Danil Dotsenko wrote:
>> Wrote a little "user-friedly" wrapper for ConfigParser for a KDE's
>> SuperKaramba widget.
>> (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=32185)
>>
>> I was using 2.4.x python docs as reference and
>> ConfigParser.read('non-existent-filename') returns [] in 2.4.x
> http://docs.python.org/lib/RawConfigParser-objects.html
> That agrees with the docs since read returns a list of successfully parsed
> filenames.  Note the docs also say this was added in 2.4.

I just looked at the
http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.5/lib/RawConfigParser-objects.html
(note the version number) and see the following:
"If none of the named files exist, the ConfigParser instance will contain an
empty dataset." Which to me means []. To the least of it, the statement
should be clarified, but I would still kindly prefer to have someone
respond / confirm the procedure bellow gives different results in 2.3.x.

>> ([], 0, <type 'list'>)

Thx in advance.