statistical analysis tools in python?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 22:03:13 EDT 2006

Thomas Nelson wrote:
> Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find a good summary through
> google.  What kinds of statistical analysis tools exist in python?

The third hit for "python statistics" is a good overview of what's available:

   http://www.astro.cornell.edu/staff/loredo/statpy/

> really just need t-tests, chi-squared test, and other such tests of
> statistical significance.  A few things point to numpy and scipy, but I
> was surprised to find the documentation for numpy is not freely
> available,

So? The web page does give an overview of what numpy has, and the sample
chapters go into more depth.

> and I thought it would be wise to ask here before I download
> it and start hunting through the source code for what I want.  Is numpy
> the best option for my simple needs?

numpy tries to be an array package, not a stats package and thus has nothing for
statistical tests. However, scipy has plenty of stats functionality going well
beyond what you've specify.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."