WANTED: logging of all file operations on Windows

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Jul 9 10:52:30 EDT 2006

Claudio Grondi wrote:
> I am aware, that it is maybe the wrong group to ask this question, but
> as I would like to know the history of past file operations from within
> a Python script I see a chance, that someone in this group was into it
> already and is so kind to share here his experience.
>
> I can't believe, that using NTFS file system in Microsoft Windows 2000
> or XP it is not possible to track file events as:
>
> - updating/modifying of an existing file/directory
> - deleting an existing file/directory
> - creating a new file/directory
> - _moving_ an existing file/directory (should _NOT_ be covered by the
> event duo of  deleting an existing and creating a new file/directory)
>
> Any hints towards enlightenment?
>
> Claudio Grondi

On the offchance that you haven't seen it, you might
look at this:

http://timgolden.me.uk/python/win32_how_do_i/watch_directory_for_changes.html#use_readdirectorychanges

but since it doesn't fulfil your criterion of *not*
representing renames by a delete and an add, it may
well not be suitable. Apart from that, I think it does
what you want.

TJG