Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jul 24 07:03:16 EDT 2006

Ray wrote:
> I just moved to another company that's mainly a Java/.NET shop. I was
> happy to find out that there's a movement from the grassroot to try to
> convince the boss to use a dynamic language for our development!
>
> Two of the senior developers, however, are already rooting for Ruby on
> Rails--although they haven't tried RoR themselves. When I suggested
> Django, they went like, "what's that?".
>
> I said, "It's like the Python counterpart of RoR".
>
> "Nah, we're not interested in Python."
>
> I think they are already predisposed to RoR simply because of RoR's
> visibility (i.e.: at my workplace everybody knows RoR but nobody knows
> about Django unless they've used Python as well). So far the arguments
> I can think of:
>
> 1. The investment of learning Python will be a good investment because
> it transfer to platforms that we've already supported, i.e.: JVM and
> ..NET CLR (using Jython and IronPython). Ruby's availability on this
> platform is not as mature--JRuby is still at 0.9 and I don't think
> IronRuby is coming out anytime soon :)
>
> 2. Python is a much more mature language than Ruby--it's been around
> since ages ago and as such has a lot more tools, articles, and other
> resources than Ruby. It is also the language being used by
> high-visibility company like Google, with the creator of the language
> himself working there.
>
> 3. Python emphasizes readability instead of cleverness/conciseness.
>
> 4. What else? I haven't tried RoR so I can't argue meaningfully on
> whether using Django will put us at an advantage.
>
> Can you help me with my argument? Meanwhile I think I'll give RoR a try
> as well.

I wouldn't waste your time. "A man convinced against his will is of the
same opinion still", and they already know they aren't interested in
Python. There are probably many other matters about which they are
uninformed and equally determined.

   http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2005/08/i_changed_my_mi.html

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119