Using Python for my web site

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Jul 31 18:41:35 EDT 2006

northband a écrit :
> Just spoke with my department and looks like we still want to go with a
> server scripting method.  Although MVC may be better fit, for the sake
> of the learning curve, we want to use a PSP style method.

I really don't think the learning curve will be a problem. We learned
Django while using it for an app, and the app was completed and
delivered within a week (total 8 man/day). Granted, it was a dead simple
app, but it would have take as much time doing it in PHP. The last one
we did was not trivial, and was ready to deliver in 2 weeks - one week
before schedule. This very first release is still running, and we didn't
have a single bug report. Not to say that Django is a silver-bullet, but
it's actually the best tool we found for sql-based web apps so far.

> So as of now we are looking at using FreeBSD, MySQL, and some form of
> Python that will allow us to achieve great performance serving
> 30million page loads / month.

FWIW, when it comes to web apps, and given a reasonnably well
designe/implemented app, "performance" is more a matter of
tuning/hardware/etc than anything else.