What is a type error?

George Neuner gneuner2/ at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 03:24:36 EDT 2006

On 13 Jul 2006 08:45:49 -0700, "Marshall" <marshall.spight at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On the other hand, there is no problem domain for which pointers
>are a requirement. I agree they are deucedly convenient, though.

I would argue that pointers/references _are_ a requirement for I/O.  I
know of no workable method for interpreting raw bits as meaningful
data other than to overlay a typed template upon them.

Categorically disallowing address manipulation functionally cripples
the language because an important class of programs (system programs)
cannot be written.

Of course, languages can go overboard the other way too.  IMO, C did
not need to provide address arithmetic at the language level,
reinterpretable references and array indexing would have sufficed for
any use.  Modula 3's type safe view is an example of getting it right.

It is quite reasonable to say "I don't write _____ so I don't need
[whatever language feature enables writing it]".  It is important,
however, to be aware of the limitation and make your choice
deliberately.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address