code to retrieve web mail?

John Savage rookswood at suburbian.com.au
Mon Jul 31 21:47:17 EDT 2006

I have a free web mail address and would like to use python to retrieve
files that have been emailed to me. The basic code would accommodate
cookies, a login name and password, then download using the full URL I
can provide. From postings here I thought mechanize held promise, but
I've found it to contain filenames that are invalid for MSDOS (too many
characters, and/or too many dots in the name, etc.) so I have little hope
that the mechanize module can be used.

I'm running python2.4.2 on plain MSDOS (not windows), so would appreciate
a pointer to sample code that can do the job. I know that curl has this
capability, but I'll learn something by tinkering with python code.

Thanks.
--
John Savage                   (my news address is not valid for email)