how to stop python

Dan dedded at verizon.net
Sun Jul 30 21:30:19 EDT 2006

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net posted:

 > perl has the concept of "die". does python have anything
 > similar. how can a python app be stopped?

I see this sort of statement a lot in Perl:
     open(FH, "myfile.txt") or die ("Could not open file");

I've no idea why you're asking for the Python equivalent to die, but if
it's for this sort of case, you don't need it.  Usually in Python you
don't need to explicitly check for an error.  The Python function will
raise an exception instead of returning an error code.  If you want to
handle the error, enclose it in a try/except block.  But if you just
want the program to abort with an error message so that you don't get
silent failure, it will happen automatically if you don't catch the
exception.  So the equivalent Python example looks something like this:
     fh = file("myfile.txt")

If the file doesn't exist, and you don't catch the exception, you get
something like this:
$ ./foo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./foo.py", line 3, in ?
     fh = file("myfile.txt")
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'myfile.txt'

/Dan