an "urgent" answer to a simple question

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Jul 25 13:27:31 EDT 2006

> I need to install Python Imaging Library (PIL) -
> imaging-1.1.5.tar.gz (source ) onto Suse Linux 10.1 system in
> order for (latest) Scribus 1.3.3.2 to install and work.

Not being a Suse user, I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

My recommendation:
Install debian, and use "apt-get install python-imaging".  One
might even just do "apt-get install scribus" and it would find
the "PIL dependancy".

You can "poke" in the ".deb" file and it will "show" you where
everything goes.

If, IIUC, Suse is an "RPM-based distro", you can use

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=pil

to "find" PIL, the way most folks would find RPM "packages" that
don't come automatically with their distro.  RPMs may be
glorified "tarballs" as well, so you may be able to "poke" in
them too.

Or maybe Suse has some dependancy-tracker (I've hear the name of
the program "yum"...might do dependancy checking?) where you can
just point it at scribus, and it "automatically" finds "PIL" and
"installs" it too.

> Plesae indicate how I perform PIL install (exact
> commands/procedures)  in manner where files are
> "automatically" placed in proper directories, etc.
>
> Your "urgent" assistance is appreciated. Thanks,

"thanks" for your "post".  Hopefully this "helped".

-"tkc"