Using Python for my web site

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Mon Jul 31 17:59:12 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 14:40 -0700, northband wrote:
> Just spoke with my department and looks like we still want to go with a
> server scripting method.  Although MVC may be better fit, for the sake
> of the learning curve, we want to use a PSP style method.

I'm with the others who suggest using an MVC framework.  The learning
curve for Django, TurboGears, Pylons, et al, is ridiculously short, and
the maintainability of the resulting code is infinitely superior.

Why don't you take a look at the 20 minute wiki screencast that
TurboGears has and make a decision then.  Although the screencast is
specifically about TurboGears, a similar screencast could be made for
almost any of the other MVC-style frameworks:

http://files.turbogears.org/video/20MinuteWiki2nd.mov
http://www.turbogears.org/preview/docs/tutorials/wiki20/index.html

Developing in a PHP/ASP embedded style is an anachronism these days and
for good reason.   Spend a couple days learning a modern framework.  The
time will be well-spent and quickly made up in shortened development
time and code maintainablility.

> So as of now we are looking at using FreeBSD, MySQL, and some form of
> Python that will allow us to achieve great performance serving
> 30million page loads / month.

If I were you, I'd cease worrying about the performance of the framework
itself and research caching proxies and load balancing solutions
instead.  The payoff in performance will be much higher and you won't
have to make architectural compromises.

Regards,
Cliff